Apologies for the hiatus, I couldn’t get to my rankings last week, but I am back for Week 11 after an eventful two weeks of football. Let’s jump straight into the biggest games from last weekend and then dive into this weeks rankings.
- (9) Washington - 22 at (NR) Stanford - 30
- The weekend started off with an upset right away as unranked Stanford took down top 10 Washington. Forward Progress mispredicted this one as well, forecasting an eight point win for the Huskies.
- (1) Georgia - 17 at (10) Auburn - 40
- This game was in the running for most surprising and has definitely had a big impact on potential playoff situations. Auburn took Georgia to the woodshed, counter to predictions by both the playoff committee and my computer.
- (3) Notre Dame - 8 at (7) Miami - 41
- Along with the Georgia/Auburn matchup this result will be in mind when the committee makes their final playoff selections. Miami defied expectations (from both Forward Progress and the ranking committee) and remains unbeaten.
- (12) Michigan State - 3 at (13) Ohio State - 48
- These two teams were neighbors on the ranking list but you wouldn’t know it from the score. Finally the computer gets one over on the humans, having predicted a nine point victory for the Buckeyes.
- (17) Virginia Tech - 22 at (NR) Georgia Tech - 28
- There weren’t many playoff implications in this game but it was an upset nonetheless. The computer has been hot on Virginia Tech for a few weeks now and correspondingly mispredicted a win for the Hokies.
Overall Forward Progress had a great week, hitting a season high accuracy of 79%
|Team||Predicted Wins||Ranking Date||Rank Movement|
|20||North Carolina State||210||2017-11-18||1|
Ohio State is back in the top four, jumping 6 places after shutting down Michigan State. Auburn also spiked after their handling of Georgia, sending them tumbling three places alongside Notre Dame and Penn State. Wisconsin continues their slow climb as they keep winning and chances are good that they will jump significantly if they can make it out of the Big 10 Championship unscathed. Virginia Tech is falling out of favor after their brief moment in the sun, falling four spots. I’m mostly happy with these results, aside from a few artifacts like Boston College (?) and Wake Forest (???) popping up in the top 25.